Thursday, May 29, 2014

Shark Teeth January 2014

So I'm in Alaska, it's a Sunday morning and I get an urgent text from Mike.  Look at Decker's teeth!  I was just as shocked when I saw the picture and immediately started googling teeth coming in behind baby teeth.  I found out that this is very normal and happens to like 3 in 5 kids and they call it SHARK teeth.  Cool huh?  Decker thought that was pretty neat.
I read a lot of blogs and a Dentist's perspective on it.  When I came back, we showed a friend-- who is also a dentist-- Decker's SHARK teeth and once again was comforted in him saying, don't worry about it, it's normal, they will push his baby teeth right out.
We had a dentist appointment scheduled in March, so every day, we would remind Decker to play and wiggle his teeth so he would get them out and not pay a dentist to pull them out.  They didn't come out in time for the dentist appointment, but shortly thereafter....with a little help from Dad.  Tying floss and string around Decker's tooth and yanking...when Mike brought out the pliers, I was out of there.  :)

Eventually it the first came out and the tooth fairy brought Decker a silver dollar for that little tooth.  He was excited!
Here are xrays of his top teeth...you can see the permanent teeth lined up to at some point break through.
 And here's his lower teeth....pushing their way up...


2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's never happened to my kids. I might have been a little nervous about that too! :-D

Kristen said...

Wow! That sight would have freaked me out for sure! Thanks goodness for your knowledgeable dentist friend to help you set aside worries. Decker must have been thrilled to get that first tooth out. Funny how as kids you are so excited about losing teeth, and now that I'm an adult, I cringe at the sight of Ty's dangling teeth.