Friday, November 6, 2009

Too Young to Go 11/6/09

I got a phone call yesterday from my ex-roommate Tammy. She got married about 5 years ago and has had 2 boys and a girl added to their family.
She called me yesterday to tell me some "sad" news. Her 3 month old baby girl, Sabrina died of SIDS.
With all the losses that I've had with friends in the last couple of months, I was just in shock and devastated.
I had made little Sabrina a blanket with her name embroidered and sewn around the edges and had yet to give it to her. Tammy and her family went on a 2 month long excursion/vacation to Utah and Oklahoma, so we were out of touch for awhile. And then just 2 weeks ago, I felt like I needed to deliver her blanket. I figured while I was out travelling to my accounts that I would stop by her home, meet little Sabrina and deliver her blanket. So I put her blanket in my car and carried it around with me for the last couple of weeks. But then, it always seemed like I had a reason to not stop, because of the time or distance and I never did.
So when I got this message from her yesterday, I was heartbroken...not because of the blanket, but for Tammy, Troy and Sabrina's older brothers.
So Decker and I went to a funeral for a 3 month old today. As we were in traffic at a light, I turned around to talk to Decker. I told him about Tammy and her beautiful baby girl and that we were going to a funeral and there might be people crying and sad. I told him that Sabrina has left this earth and was with Heavenly Father now. Immediately when I said that, he folded his arms like he does when we pray. It was so sweet and I was so touched when I realized that he understands so much more than I credit him for. As I talked to him, he listened and looked me in the eyes like he was understanding everything.
As we were waiting in the line of the viewing, Decker was holding the program and kissing the face of little Sabrina. For awhile he was very subdued as he looked at baby Sabrina in her tiny coffin, and I just felt that on some level, he understood what was going on.
The Memorial service was so sweet. Tammy read a letter that she wrote to Sabrina and Troy talked about the happiness that Sabrina filled their home with and how she interacted with everyone. She is surely missed and loved.
My heart and prayers go out to Tammy and her family.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, how horrible! My mom's friend was talking about them today. In fact, I think my mom mentioned them. Do they live in Renton? Prayers for the Bennetts.

Jschmalle said...

How awful! I can't believe the loss that has happened in the last 6 months. Prayers are going out for the Bennetts.

Sarah said...

Yes, I checked my inbox and the e-mail my mom sent was about their family.

Julie and Mike Wood said...

is your mom in their ward? was she at the funeral too?

Sarah said...

By the way she talked, I think she is or at least they used to be in our ward. Troy does sound familiar. Did he serve his mission in Japan?